HOT TOPIC: Plenty of folks around the county are starting to think about filing their income tax … and hoping to get a return.
One of the great services we have in our community is the AARP income tax assistance program, which has been headed up by Mr. Gil Betts for several years. It really is a benefit for a lot of people; and remember, you don’t have to be a senior to take advantage.
The AARP free income tax preparation assistance program will be in the following locations/times:
- Mondays, 8 a.m. to noon, in Seven Points at the Library at Cedar Creek Lake, 410 East Cedar Creek Parkway.
- Wednesdays, 8 a.m. to noon, in Malakoff at the Senior Citizens Center, 503 North Terry Street.
- Fridays, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., in Athens at the Trinity Valley Community College Liberal Arts Building, Lakeside Drive.
This service is provided by the AARP Foundation in cooperation with the IRS.
- The service is free.
- Taxpayers do not have to be elderly or members of AARP.
- Married taxpayers must both come to the site unless one is incapacitated.
Taxpayers should bring with them:
- Photo IDs for all taxpayers
- A copy of any return for 2011.
- All tax-related income documents for 2012 such as: W-2s, 1099s, SSA-1099s.
- Social security cards for all taxpayers and all dependents.
- Date of birth for all dependents and taxpayers.
- Details of any itemized deductions.
The Henderson County Performing Arts Center production of “Sanders Family Christmas: Smoke on the Mountain II” begins tonight.
If you love rodeo, you are going to want to check out TVCC’s event this weekend.
The Cain Center is having its annual Coat and Garage sale this weekend.
WHAT YOU MISSED
The Pinnacle Women’s Club (PWC) held its annual Philanthropic Luncheon recently.
South Athens Elementary School held a 100 Days Celebration yesterday and invited the community to the event.
WHAT OTHERS ARE TALKING ABOUT
The Athens Review reports on Cedar Creek Lake Day in Austin.
Services have been set for the Kaufman County assistant district attorney who was gunned down last week.
If you need something added to the Daily Brief, just click “Contact” in the menu bar and let us know.
You can get the Daily Brief in your inbox, Monday through Friday. Just add your email in the form below and let Henderson County Now come to you.